Infertility Support Group Blog: St. Louis

What do we do in Infertility Support Group? Well, we talk, we laugh, we SUPPORT. Sometimes we just sit and chat, sometimes we eat at a fun restaurant, sometimes we catch a movie, sometimes we go to Walgreen's en masse to help our newest member find the appropriate supplies...lol. Often we share Dr. information, insurance information, adoption information, natural remedy information, helpful articles and scriptures. The most fascinating thing I have found about the support group is that I didn't know I needed it until I had it, and my sisters and friends poured solace into wounded places I didn't know I was harboring.

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Smoking, Drinking and Buzzing: Woman Up

And quit. It has been proven more than adequately in a host of medical studies that drinking and smoking are far, far more bad for your body than they are good. So quit. Alcohol and tobacco are socially acceptable methods of altering your mental state by essentially poisoning your body. Your smart body might just be avoiding further trauma by adding a baby into the mix. I added ‘buzzing’ to this list of substances to be avoided, because the proliferation of energy drinks on the market is a relatively new phenomenon, one that the medical community has not quite caught up to yet.  However, it is my personal opinion that once they do, and the ‘energy drink generation’ ages another 20 years or so, a lot of people are going to be shocked at how very, very bad ‘buzzing’ is for you.  If you need more energy - nap or eat an apple. Do NOT artificially force your body to perform beyond its capacity.  Especially not if you want it to perform a little pregnancy miracle for you on the side as well.  
Again as a disclaimer, I have never chosen to consume alcohol or cigarettes. So since I don’t have issues with them, I don’t think I have anything really insightful to say about overcoming them – other than I think the battle to overcome these addictions might be similar to the battle to overcome food addiction. I know it is a lot easier to say ‘just quit’  than to do it, but I also know there are some really awesome programs and support groups who can help you through it. If you want a baby - Woman Up and quit.
*Remember- this series of entries is about environmental factors for infertility. Please do not comment on this blog and say ‘a glass of wine is not poisonous’ we are talking to people are trying to get pregnant, e.g, could be at any moment-fetal alcohol syndrome anyone? Your consumption of tobacco, alcohol and energy drinks may not have anything to do with your infertility, but eliminating them from your life and body will only make you healthier in the long run.  After all this effort to get a baby, it might be nice to live to see your grandchildren.

No comments:

Post a Comment