Infertility Support Group Blog: St. Louis

What do we do in Infertility Support Group? Well, we talk, we laugh, we SUPPORT. Sometimes we just sit and chat, sometimes we eat at a fun restaurant, sometimes we catch a movie, sometimes we go to Walgreen's en masse to help our newest member find the appropriate supplies...lol. Often we share Dr. information, insurance information, adoption information, natural remedy information, helpful articles and scriptures. The most fascinating thing I have found about the support group is that I didn't know I needed it until I had it, and my sisters and friends poured solace into wounded places I didn't know I was harboring.

Saturday, June 9, 2012

Why Did it Take me This Long to Reach Out?

For a long time I didn't talk to anyone because at first I assumed we were just on the longer curve for conception, and the big 'infertility' word wasn't really an issue. But each time a cycle ended without my becoming pregnant, my frustration grew.


Since my husband and I are both on the older side (32) for 1st time parents (I realize that there are many of you out there older even, I'm describing the medical profession's opinion!) I waited less than the recommended 12 months before getting ourselves to a fertility clinic...more on that later. Even after we started fertility treatments, I didn’t really want to start a group, let alone a blog, because I knew, I just knew I would be pregnant the very next month, so what was the point. Well, it has been a long stretch of ‘next month for sure,’ with still no baby.  So, while I hope and pray that this next cycle finds me pregnant, I am starting the blog anyway, and will continue to facilitate infertility group, because I believe in my heart that both are desperately needed in my community.

As soon as I started talking with other women who were going through the same things, the same tests, the same fears, I felt incredibly strengthened, and empowered.  I learn from my friends in the group every day about how to face trials with grace, persevere and  conquer problems. I get ideas on how to talk to Drs., questions to ask, medication to request. After hearing about how pro-active my Awesome fertility doctor is (Dr. Barry Witten) a dear friend switched to his clinic and started getting immediate results and better care. If we had never talked about infertility, an uncomfortable and often ‘taboo’ subject, that could never have happened. More than anything, the women in the group give me hope. And as dear as my husband is, he would have had no idea what to say to me as I paced the parking lot at work, sobbing my heart out because an IUI had failed and my period had just started. But another darling friend from group DID know what to say. Which, really - was nothing. She just cried on the phone with me.

What is infertility support group? It is a literal fulfillment of the covenant to “bear one another’s burdens, that they may be light,” to “comfort those who stand in need of comfort” and to “mourn with those that mourn.” Mosiah 18:8-9.

1 comment:

  1. I am so thrilled to hear that you are doing this! I suffered from secondary infertility over 30 years ago and it is one of the hardest things I have ever gone through. I wish I had had a support group and fabulous Ensign articles to comfort me. I wish I had born it all more patiently and had known that God truly was with me. I know it now. I can see many good reason for the timing and I have learned so many life lessons that have enabled me to help bear those burdens. In fact, my own daughter has faced this challenge and I was so much more able to support her having lived some of it. She now has twins after treatment and life is good. I applaud all of you and pray that your dreams will come true. Now that I am on the other side of it I can see God's hand so clearly. While you are going through it our vision is much fuzzier. I often want to go up to a sister who I suspect is struggling with this but don't want to intrude. But I so long to empathize and cheer them on. God bless each and every one of you as you go through this journey.

    ReplyDelete