Infertility Support Group Blog: St. Louis

What do we do in Infertility Support Group? Well, we talk, we laugh, we SUPPORT. Sometimes we just sit and chat, sometimes we eat at a fun restaurant, sometimes we catch a movie, sometimes we go to Walgreen's en masse to help our newest member find the appropriate supplies...lol. Often we share Dr. information, insurance information, adoption information, natural remedy information, helpful articles and scriptures. The most fascinating thing I have found about the support group is that I didn't know I needed it until I had it, and my sisters and friends poured solace into wounded places I didn't know I was harboring.

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Grateful for an Uneventful Surgery

My laparoscopy was Thursday and was a nice, short, uneventful surgery.  Which doesn't prevent me from being a total wuss about recovery.  I have an astonishingly low pain threshold. The good thing is, I know this about myself (and now Richard does too) so it helps me eliminate any delusions I might get about skipping the epidural part of childbirth...lol.

The doctor only had to make one incision, and then hook the little doo-hickey onto my  insides which lets them move stuff around to make sure they get a really good look around.  They did not find any instances of endometriosis (which would have required more incisions in order to surgically remove) so they just backed the camera on out and glued me back together! (yep, glue!). All very, very minor, but I still feel like a truck backed over me.  Not that I've had that happen before. Just sayin.' It was my very first surgery, and coming out of anesthesia is NOT all it's cracked up to be.


I have spent the weekend thus far sleeping ALOT and laying down alot and just milking it in general. And taking my pain pills with ferocious regularity lest it start to do more than twinge. I figure a good time to stop taking them is when I run out of them. (Thanks for your concern, Richie). Information I would like to know is when would be a good time to start back into my half-marathon training schedule.  I haven't walked more than 20 steps since Thursday, so I'm not sure how to get back to 4 miles...hmmm.  Baby steps I guess.  Maybe I will start Mon. or Tues. with a short mile and slowly move forward...

Actually, the most discouraging part of the surgery could be how very minor it was. Essentially, it clarified once and for all that there is absolutely nothing that should be preventing our getting pregnant. Zero causality for infertility.  I'm still going to do my best to optimize the various environmental factors for infertility (a series of posts on these is coming later) but, for now, we are back to square one! But our wonderful infertility Dr. is going to start us on Clomid anyway, b/c, well....he has no other ideas, and it can't hurt me! I told Richard he might want to start thinking about our baby name list in terms of 'pairs' - just in case Clomid is our magic bullet!

No comments:

Post a Comment