Infertility Support Group Blog: St. Louis

What do we do in Infertility Support Group? Well, we talk, we laugh, we SUPPORT. Sometimes we just sit and chat, sometimes we eat at a fun restaurant, sometimes we catch a movie, sometimes we go to Walgreen's en masse to help our newest member find the appropriate supplies...lol. Often we share Dr. information, insurance information, adoption information, natural remedy information, helpful articles and scriptures. The most fascinating thing I have found about the support group is that I didn't know I needed it until I had it, and my sisters and friends poured solace into wounded places I didn't know I was harboring.

Monday, June 11, 2012

Doctor Can We Have an Extra Chair: The Power of Husbands at Appointments


From the beginning I told my husband that even though this baby was going to be coming out of my body this was going to be a we thing from start to finish. Which meant if I had to go to the doctor, so did he.


Having this as a base rule was one of the best ideas I've ever had. Not only does it save me repeating the same information from the doctor over again to my husband, if he has any questions about it he can ask the doctor himself.  Sometimes staff are surprised to see my husband at ‘routine’ visits and check-ups, but with fertility issues, ‘routine’ can turn to ‘heartbreaking’ in a nano-second. Usually staff are just impressed about what a rock-star husband he is to be willing to do all of it with me, and are more than happy to grab an extra chair for him to sit in. (And why is it that medical examination rooms, of all places, usually have only one chair? I resent the implied assumption that, at least in America, we should face all medical issues alone, sans emotional support or family.  These are often the hardest and scariest kinds of interviews to have! Shouldn't a supporting loved one be a given at a medical appointment, rather than a surprise?)

It turns out that one of the most important reasons to have your husband with you is that sometimes we have made to make seriously important decisions at a doctor appointment that we had no way of anticipating would come up. Without my husband there, I either have to make the call on my own or go home, discuss it with him, and call them back. Having hubby at the appointment with me really reduces that decision making loop, and helps everything move forward faster and smoother.

And one of the best results from having your husband attend OBGYN and fertility appointments is that they gain a deep, deep, appreciation for how awkward, invasive, and sometimes painful these procedures are. As well as some really cool glimpses into the amazing creation that is the female human body - what an ovary looks on an ultrasound, or what your uterus looks like. I'm not talking about getting gory - let the poor guy watch the computer screen. But chances are he'll be fascinated. We were both intrigued seeing his sperm under a microscope for our IUI.  We didn’t get pregnant, but if we had we could have told our kid we saw them when they were no bigger than a tiny, tiny, wee gamete.

No comments:

Post a Comment